Supercharging your health as an autismmom: 5 Steps for higher energy, focus and serenity!
Are you eating and drinking your way to keep up with the daily grind of being a special needs parent?
Do you numb yourself by indulging in this piece of cake, that pie and those cookies and by the end of the day you feel defeated that you didnt make those healthy choices you promised yourself you would?
Have coffee became your water? or Bread became your solo food?
If any of these sound familiar you are not alone. They were the bane of my existence too!!
I would woolf down half a loaf of commercial bread (count 8-10 slices/day!!) in my quest to fuel my body which always felt fatigued, like there is a dino sitting inside my brain and it is heavy and woozy. I was also sevely sleep deprived because my son on the spectrum plus my hypersensitive girl baby kept me awake every night one way or another.
Come morning I would pump carb and dairy, sugar and chocolates to feel energised and comfort my emotions of feeling defeated.
Good news is you dont have to feel so.
Truth is You need to have the “JUICES” inside of you to be able to perform better without feeling yucky, overweight, sloppy and bone tired.
Today I am sharing the 5 steps that I took to clean up my act, give me sustained energy, serenity, ability to keep up with the kids’ developmental needs, providing them with all the help that is part of my Autism Recovery and Success Program and also hold space and be a great coach to other parents aiming as such.
HERE WE GO…
- Elimination Diet.
This is essentially removing food groups that are known to be hard to digest, create allergies, sensitivities and intolerance from your diet for 2-3 weeks and then slowly re-introduce one food group at a time to see how your body reacts. Altogather it takes about 4-5 weeks to accomplish and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you do so to ascertain your unique food blueprint that rather than keeping you energised is making you fatigued and zappy.
Foods to avoid are:
- Citrus fruits: Avoid citrus fruits, such as oranges and grapefruits.
- Nightshade vegetables: Avoid nightshades, including tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Nuts and seeds: Eliminate all nuts and seeds.
- Legumes: Eliminate all legumes, such as beans, lentils, peas and soy-based products.
- Starchy foods: Avoid wheat, barley, corn, spelt, rye, oats and bread. Also avoid any other gluten-containing foods.
- Meat and fish: Avoid processed meats, cold cuts, beef, chicken, pork, eggs and shellfish.
- Dairy products: Eliminate all dairy, including milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream.
- Fats: Avoid butter, margarine, hydrogenated oils, mayonnaise and spreads.
- Beverages: Avoid alcohol, coffee, black tea, soda and other sources of caffeine.
- Spices and condiments: Avoid sauces, relish and mustard.
- Sugar and sweets: Avoid sugar (white and brown), honey, maple syrup, corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup, agave nectar, desserts and chocolate.
The 1st step is Elimination phase where you stop majority or all the above food for 2-3 weeks. YES YOU CAN SURVIVE without them. You need to focus on these Food that you can eat:”
- Fruits: Most fruits, excluding citrus fruits.
- Vegetables: Most vegetables, excluding nightshades.
- Grains: Including rice and buckwheat.
- Meat and fish: Including turkey, lamb, wild game and cold-water fish like salmon.
- Dairy substitutes: Including coconut milk and unsweetened rice milk.
- Fats: Including cold-pressed olive oil, flaxseed oil and coconut oil.
- Beverages: Water and herbal teas.
- Spices, condiments and others: Including black pepper, fresh herbs and spices (excluding cayenne pepper and paprika) and apple cider vinegar.
for me I actually went a step further and stopped rice too as I suspected I had Candida infestation out of whack. You will know you have when along with all the above mentioned symptoms you also have allergies, eczeema, sinus issues and frequest cold spells hitting you.
After the Elimination phase comes the reintroduction phase. Where you add one food group at a time for 2-3 days and see for these symtoms:
- Rashes and skin changes
- Joint pain
- Headaches or migraines
- Difficulty sleeping
- Changes in breathing
- Stomach pain or cramps
- Changes in bowel habits
If you see after you added dairy you see one or more of the above symptoms then you are now sure that dairy is your nemesis. Generally speaking Dairy (except butter, ghee and yogurt), grains esp Wheat, peanuts are the pesky ones in our diet.
Side effect (pun intended!!) of this diet includes weight loss, increased energy, clear head, sinus troubles gone or very minimal, improved sleep, bloating/constipation managed and headaches or migrains says tata, bye bye to you. Wanna start?
How can you think of health without exercise?
Well that doesn’t need to be gym sessions or getting expensive instructors/memberships etc. You can opt for many other varieties such as
- Yoga or Pilates
- Taking kids to school
- Playing with your kids
- Doing House chores at faster pace etc
Pick the one you feel like doing and include that in your day.
3. Morning Routine
A solid morning routine will set you up for success. I have one I swear by it and yes I cant follow that 365 days but I aim for 90% which is very decent and I dont punish myself If I woke up late and missed that, like I had to today! SEE? It just has to be doable, important for you to fuel your personal need and you take the decision making out of your hands. Decision Fatigue is real mama!!
I recommend you include these activities:
- Wake up an hour early
- Personal hygine and skin care
- Take a probiotic or Candida support or Gut Health supplement (Below I will provide the one I use and swear by)
- 15 min yoga/stretching
- 10 min deep breathing/ meditation
- 5 min to write the 5-6 To Do for that day
- Prep and feed breakfast to kids and get ready for their school and your day…
4. Day Routine
This totally depends on what you need to accomplish that day and your To Do will Determine. I recommend and teach my clients to have an ongoing “Not TO DO” list as well!! this is a list of things or activities or people that drains energy, joy and happiness out of your life. Put all the “should do” that others tell you to do but You dont feel to deep down. (well I wanna request to not chuck this post and the advices out because you dont want, because these are research based and totally awesome way to boost your success, happiness and productivity!!)
With the being said take some time out and seat somewhere you wont be disturbed (ayy….stop that excuse!!) find a comfy place, get your journal and your favourite gel pen and then do this exercise…
- Design your Ideal Day (from how you wake up till you go to bed. Give yourself permission to feel what feels authentic and exciting to you to wake up to. When you write out your goals you are 47% more likely to achieve them. I will take that odds.
- What Do You Believe you NEED to overcome your pain and troubles and achieve your goals and freedom?
- What are the ways you can Prioritise task, Delegate to either another person or to an appliance (slowcooker anyone?) and Delete those that arent helping you reach your goals and dreams.
- Write down your 3 Year vision and then do the 5 years vision plan.
Use the Ideal Day Vision and the 3-5 year vision template that you built to connect the dots on activities to incorporate, things to delete, help to seek, investing in yourself and in your child cleverly to get closer to the successful future version that you all are so worthy of.
5. Nighttime Routine
Starting 6 pm you should be focusing on dinner, winding down and preparing for sleep. If you are one crazy mama without a proper sleep or diet routines I invite you to join my private facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/276102687017998 and gain access to your road to success and freedom!
Your night time routine essential includes any task that will help you complete the day on an accomplished tone and prepare the next day and setting you up for success. Dinner of kids can be followed by yours and then cleaning the kitchen and any living spaces that you will use and see first thing next day. Then brushing and moisturising/ little massage session for your kids help them wind down. Next it’s your turn to relax, get some skincare and oral hygine done followed by a little mirror work. After you are done with all that look in the mirror and say I am grateful for……..fill up your blanks and that helps you feel connected and relaxed. Before noding off try a meditation track while lying down that will rewire your brain and prepare you for a night of beauty sleep 😉
Here are some of the products and supplement I swear by
or Chocolate flavour !!
Digestive Enzymes (one after major meals) https://www.amazon.ca/Webber-Naturals-Digestive-Enzymes-Tablets/dp/B00DZSZE32/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1XO6ANEUP5YK6&dchild=1&keywords=digestive+enzymes&qid=1628118609&sprefix=Digestive+enzymes%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-5
Magnesium Oxide tablets (One/every night after dinner, say bye bye to bloating and constipation) https://www.amazon.ca/Natures-Bounty-Magnesium-Oxide-500mg/dp/B00BMEHW7C/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=magnesium+oxide&qid=1628118689&sr=8-5
Iron Supplement (Female Health) https://www.amazon.ca/Natures-Bounty-Supplement-Deficiency-Capsules/dp/B07NNRWNCN/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2L51N8TTQC6LN&dchild=1&keywords=iron+supplements&qid=1628118769&sprefix=Iron%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOTQyN0I2WldYTDlXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzA5OTQzM0pCOFA2SVc2M0ZCNyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzQ1NzI0MkZQVVlRRzhHWVlBSiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
These are not affiliated links. I dont get any commission. Just My recomendations as I have been using most of them for months!